SIA Business Licensing

From a date to be announced, it will be a criminal offence for a regulated business (under PSIA) to provide licensable individuals to supply security industry services, unless that business has an SIA business licence. Regulated businesses will need to apply to the SIA to obtain a business licence, and obtain approval for each sector in which they wish to supply security industry services.

Who needs a business license?

Regulated businesses

All businesses that provide licensable individuals to supply security industry services in the United Kingdom are required to obtain a business licence.

You need a business licence if:

• You are a body corporate, partnership, unincorporated association or sole trader.
• You are business supplying security industry services, regardless of the size of your overall operations.
• You are a business supplying security industry services in the following sectors:

• The Manned guarding sectors – Cash and Valuables in Transit, Close Protection, Door Supervision, Public Space Surveillance CCTV, and Security Guarding.
• Key holding.
• Immobilisation of vehicles, in Northern Ireland only (including the restriction and removal of vehicles).

How to Qualify

To qualify for a business licence, businesses must demonstrate that they are ‘fit and proper’ to supply security industry services in the private security industry.  The SIA will determine whether you are ‘fit and proper’ with reference to information relating to the five elements outlined below. They must be satisfied that you are ‘fit and proper’ in relation to each element for the qualifying condition to be fulfilled. You must remain ‘fit and proper’ for the duration of your business licence. Breach of the qualifying condition may result in withdrawal or suspension of your business licence.

The five qualify elements are:

  • Identity
  • Criminality
  • Financial probity
  • Integrity
  • Business competency


Key Dates

TBA – Legal requirement to have a business licence.


Contact us for advice  >