Acceptable Documents for BS7858 & BPSS
Both the BPSS and the BS7858 screening standard requires that applicants supply documents in support of their application from the list below. This means we are unable to accept any document that isn’t on this list.
In relation to documents for the career history checks we carry out for BS7858, applicants must upload one document from the beginning, middle and end of each employment, education, career gap period.
For example, if they have been employed for a company from Jan 2019 to Dec 2021, they will need to provide one supporting document from Jan 2019, one document from Jan 2020, and one from December 2021.
- Please Note: the applicant’s name and date must be visible on all the documents they provide (and the name and date of the employer/academic/benefit institution for career history documents).
- The document for the document for the beginning and end of the period cannot be the same type of document e.g. they cannot both be payslips. E.g. one could be a payslip and one could be a P60.
You can use these as proof of your identity:
- Passport – in date
- Driving licence (photocard) – in date
- Paper driving licence (if issued before 1998) – in date
- UK birth certificate dated within 12 months of birth
- UK adoption certificate
- European or international passport – in date
- Marriage certificate
- HM Forces ID card
- Immigration visa
- Firearms licence
Current Address Documents
You can use any of these as proof of your current address (some of these may also be acceptable proof of ID):
- Bank statement (less than 3 months old)
- Credit card statement (less than 3 months old)
- Utility bills – Not a mobile phone bill (less than 3 months old)
- Benefit statement (less than 3 months old)
- Council Tax bill (less than 12 months old)
- Inland Revenue document (less than 12 months old)
- P45 or P60 (less than 12 months old)
- Mortgage statement (less than 12 months old)
- Letter from a government department e.g., Department for Work and Pensions
- Letter from a Head Teacher or other academic principal
The documents must show your name, the date and address on it. You can redact the total balance and outgoing payments from bank statements – we don’t need to see that detail. We’re just looking for the name of an employer or agency and if they made a salary payment to you.
- PAYE Records – Please see below how to download PAYE documents for free.
- HMRC / National Insurance Tax Records (you can request these from HMRC to cover your full 5 or 10 year work
history – these can take several weeks to arrive in the post from HMRC).
- Redundancy Letter
- Contract of Employment
- Copies of original bank statements showing payments from employer and displaying your name
and address – the total balance and account / sort code can be redacted.
- Employment Correspondence
- Student Transcripts
- Student Loan Letters
- Education Correspondence
- Self-Assessment Tax Returns
- Invoices to clients
- Bank statements showing payments from clients – the total balance and outgoing payments can be redacted
- B8S7858 requires the applicant to provide documents to evidence any gaps in employment over 31 days
- Child’s birth certificate dated within the period of maternity leave
- Notice of Award of child benefit payments during the period or formal confirmation of award
of child tax credit in respect of the birth of the child.
- If not parent, a link to relationship must be established with documentary evidence
- HM Forces ID Card
- Forces Service including Reserves
- Certificate of Service
- Discharge Certificate
- Statement of Service
- Tax payments
- Formal documentation relating to the redundancy
- Official visas and passport stamps.
- Hotel, car hire & debit/credit card receipts.
- Bank statements showing overseas transactions during the period.
- Inoculation record or entry / immigration stamp in passport for the period concerned.
- Formal documentation from a recognised travel company /airline for booking or travel during
the period in question (included train, boat tickets or car hire).
- Written evidence of voluntary work during the period on the headed paper of the concerned.
- Illness (including institutions/rehabilitation etc.)
- Medical certificate covering the period.
- Documentation from a medical practitioner or establishment that verifies that
the individual was undergoing treatment during the period.
- Evidence of allowances received
- Power of attorney
- Doctor’s note/communication
Unemployed – in Receipt of Benefits
- Benefit Letters: formal evidence from a government agency e.g., letter from the Department
of Work and Pensions/Department for Social Development in Northern Ireland confirming pay
rent of benefits to the individual or confirming non-employment status.
- Bank statement evidencing payments from a government agency – the total balance and account / sort code can be redacted.
Unemployed – no economic activity
- Evidence of job applications being made/attending job interviews.
- Dated job offer letters indicating a future start date.
- An expired Visa and home office documentation evidencing renewal underway.
- Bank statement showing no income – the total balance and account / sort code can be redacted.
SIA Licences – if relevant
- We need to see a copy of all the SIA licences an applicant holds – in date and expired – if this is relevant to their role and employer
How to download your PAYE records for free
If we don’t receive a reference from a previous employer, the British Standard says we must ask the applicant for alternative supporting documents to evidence that period in their career history. That’s why we sometimes ask for an applicant’s PAYE records.
- Log in to your Personal Tax Account and click on the Pay as You Earn (PAYE) box. If you don’t have an account, you can create one.
- Then click “Check previous tax years”
- Then click “Check income details sent to us”
- Then click “Print this page” – which will add your name to the document.
- Save them as PDFs and upload them to your application.
- Download a record relating to each period listed in your Career History in your application because this displays each month and year you received salary and paid tax and helps us verify your employment.
- We created a visual guide here if that helps too (PDF).
Staffvetting.com is an NSI Gold Accredited BS7858 screening provider. The National Security Inspectorate (NSI) is recognised as the leading certification body for the security and fire protection sectors in the UK. We were the first company to achieve this level (via Nova Risk Management) and are proud to continue to promote quality services and systems.