Which documents can I use to prove my career history?
At various points during your screening, we will ask you to provide a number of different documents that evidence your career history.
Usually, this means providing three documents per period of work: one covering the beginning, middle and end of each period.
- A copy of your PAYE tax records over that period would also be acceptable.
- If we don’t receive sufficient evidence and references for any period during your five-year career history check, we’ll let you know and ask you for extra or alternative documents.
- PAYE records
- P45 / P60
- Offer of employment letter
- Invoices to clients (if self-employed)
We strongly advise you to download your PAYE records before filling your application form. They are one of the best types of evidence we’re allowed to accept and will save you having to upload copies of lots of different documents for each period of work.
PAYE records are an excellent form of evidence and we encourage all applicants to apply for them.
- Log in and click on the Pay as You Earn (PAYE) box. If you don’t have an account, you can create one.
- Then click “Check previous tax years”
- Then click “Check income details sent to us”
- Then click “Print this page” – which will add your name to the document.
- Save them as PDFs and upload them to your application.
- Download a record relating to each period listed in your Career History in your application because this displays each month and year you received salary and paid tax and helps us verify your employment.
Help and Support
If you’re not sure about the validity of your documents, or which ones to use as part of your application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will help you.
- Never email copies of documents to us – only upload them to your application.