Basic DBS Checks
Basic DBS checks from a trusted DBS-approved Responsible Organisation
Quick, secure, quality-assured and low cost Basic DBS checks for businesses, organisations and charities. Onboarding is quick and easy – we set you up in the system and offer instruction guides and one-to-one training on our self-service vetting platform. It allows you to create, review, amend and submit DBS checks.
Our vetting platform also lets you monitor progress and see the results as they come in. You will not be tied into a long-term contract and there’s no minimum spend either. It works like a pay-as-you-go service. We also offer a pilot service to allow you to test the system without long-term commitment, and you only pay only for the Basic DBS checks you process.
Your applicants’ data is automatically anonymised after a specified period too – so you don’t have to remember to do it – which means there’s no issue with retaining data longer than you should with respect to GDPR. If you’re looking for Standard or Enhanced DBS checks, please see our Standard and Enhanced DBS checks page instead.
* The quickest time we have received an electronic confirmation of an applicant’s criminality result once a valid, completed application form has been verified, checked and submitted to DBS is three minutes and forty seconds.
What is a basic DBS check?
A basic DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check is the simplest level of criminal record check in the UK. It reveals unspent convictions and conditional cautions, providing limited information for employers or organisations to assess an individual’s suitability for a specific role.
Basic DBS Certificates
While the electronic Basic DBS result will continue to appear in our vetting portal, and be attached to your vetting report as normal, we want our Clients to know that their Applicants can now request the completed Basic DBS certificate to be sent to their home address.
If they chose this option while filling in the form, the Client will need to request a copy from them directly – we aren’t allowed to do this on a Client’s behalf and never receive the paper certificates. Our online portal also has a colour-coding system which notifies you of any completed checks which may contain relevant information and we will confirm in future correspondence how you can access this moving forward. The DBS will continue to send Standard and Enhanced paper DBS certificates directly to the Applicant – there is no change there.
What does a basic DBS check show?
A basic DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check shows unspent convictions and conditional cautions. It does not provide details of spent convictions, other warnings, or any information related to an individual’s barred list status.
The Basic DBS checks process
- The “Sponsor” (our Client) creates an application and the applicant receives an email inviting them to complete the application form.
- The Applicant completes the application and submits it, with their consent, to the Client for review.
- The Client checks the application – The Client must check the Applicant’s documents and information are valid before submitting it e.g.:
- Full name
- Date of Birth
- Place of Birth
- Current address
- Email address
- Mobile number
- Client submits the application
- Digital Results – The digital result is viewable in our vetting platform and shows either: “Certificate contains no information”, which means no adverse information has been found. Or, it will say, “Please view the certificate”, which means a conviction or caution has been found and will only be detailed on the paper certificate.
- Paper Certificate – The DBS will post the Basic DBS paper certificate to either the Client’s office address or applicant’s current home address upon completion.
Important to know about Basic DBS checks:
- The Applicant will need to prove their identity and current address to the Client using documents like their passport, driving licence and birth certificate.
- DBS will contact the Applicant directly if they need them to clarify anything at any point during the process, or if they need to provide more documents, information or clarity.
- We make no judgments about an applicant’s suitability for the role for which they are applying. That is the Client’s responsibility.
- We are a DBS-approved Responsible Organisation providing Basic DBS checks.
How long does a basic DBS check take?
The processing time for a basic DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) typically ranges from a few days to several weeks, depending on the volume of applications and any additional factors that may require further investigation.
How much is a basic DBS check?
The cost of a basic DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check is usually around £23 to £26, excluding any administrative fees charged by employers or organisations facilitating the check.